Today we’re going to looking at a wine that beautiful pairs with all the wonderful flavors of fall: Carignan. This wine is mostly produced in Southern France and is often used as a blending grape. It’s also grown to a lesser degree in Spain and Italy. In the past, Carignan was unfairly considered to be a lesser wine. However, in recent years, vineyards have started to embrace the wine's powerful flavors and are producing a number of highly..Read More
The leaves are falling from the trees and crunching underfoot, the days are getting shorter, and all the fall-themed flavors are in abundance! As the seasons turn and the temperature needle starts rapidly dropping, we find ourselves stepping away from our favorite summer drinks and foods. I know summer is truly over when I switch from iced to hot coffee. Similarly, for many wine lovers fall is the perfect season to switch from chilled white..Read More
Today we’re going to be looking at — and hopefully tasting — the quintessentially Spanish Tempranillo. This grape is primarily grown in Spain and Portugal and is a common ingredient in other wines such as Rioja and Syrah. While not particularly common, Tempranillo is also made into a single varietal wine.
Over 80% of Tempranillo production takes place in Spain with the remaining 20% occurring in Portugal, Argentina, Australia, and the United..Read More
It’s mid-October which means it’s time we finally accepted the fact that yes, it is officially fall, and yes, it is getting colder. However, the shorter days and colder nights shouldn’t necessary be cause for mourning and sadness. While the chills are nothing to celebrate, one of the benefits of the colder seasons is that it gives us the excuse to enjoy all the warm, hearty food and drinks denied to us by the swealtering summer!
Mulled wine..Read More
Another week, another wine! Today, we’re going to be looking at the third largest grape crop in France: Sémillon. This golden grape is used in the production of dry and sweet white wines. It’s also a crucial element in White Bordeaux blends and is the main ingredient in Sauternes dessert wines.
While it’s primarily known as a grape of France, where over 28,000 acres are dedicated to it, Sémillon is grown throughout the world. Australia is..Read More
Today we’re looking at one of the most widely grown grapes in the world: Grenache. These grapes are responsible for some of the tastiest — and priciest — wines in the world. This late ripening grape is mostly grown in warmer regions like Spain, California, Australia, and Southern France. Just under 500,000 acres of vineyard land is dedicated to Grenache, making it one of the top ten largest wine crops in the world.
Needless to say, Grenache..Read More
After a few dalliances in the world of orange and ice wines, it’s time to look at something a little closer to home: Muscadine wine. Possibly the closest thing the United States has to a national grape, Muscadine is a quintessentially American wine that derives its flavor from the Vitis rotundifolia grape. This species of grape is native to the United States and grows best in warm, humid areas such as Georgia, the Carolinas, Mississippi, and..Read More
Today we are going to be looking at one of the more unusual grape-based offerings available: Ice wine. This super-sweet drink is not for everyone, but those looking for a wine unlike any other would be hard pressed — pardon the pun — to find something as unique as this chilly treat.
What is it?
When we talk about ice wine (or eiswein) we’re not talking about chilled wine or a glass of white with a couple of ice cubes. Ice wine is a very..Read More
Today, we’re going to put aside reds and whites and look at something a little different: orange wine. Despite the name, orange wine contains no actual oranges; instead, it is the result of leaving grape juice in contact with the skins and seeds for a prolonged period of time. This results in a white wine with a noticeably orange hue.
While there is something undeniably fascinating about it, the color itself is not orange wine's main selling..Read More
This week, we’re looking at another fairly obscure wine packed with character and flavor: Petit Verdot. This intense vintage has seen a steady increase in popularity over the last few years and is well regarded for its rich color and unusual taste. A bit of a “love it or hate it” wine, those on the lookout for something a little different should definitely give it a try.
Petit Verdot is a bit of a New World wine success story. The grape was..Read More