If you struggled to like turnips as a child, consider trying this grown-up version in which the earthy root vegetable is complemented by Gruyere’s assertive cheesiness. Thinly-sliced turnips become meltingly tender in a cheesy cream sauce served underneath a lid of golden, crispy breadcrumbs. If you’d like to further contrast the sauce’s richness, a pinch of cayenne pepper sprinkled in along with the thyme and garlic would add a faint blush of piquancy without being outright spicy. Wait a few minutes before slicing and serving the gratin to help the liquid set, which ensures it stays creamy, not watery.
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 2 large turnips (about 1 lb total), peeled, halved, and sliced ⅛” thick
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1) In a small bowl, combine thyme, garlic powder, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp ground black pepper. Generously butter a Suvie pan.
2) Arrange ⅓ of turnip slices on the bottom of the prepared pan, overlapping slightly.
Brush turnips with melted butter and sprinkle with ⅓ of thyme mixture. Sprinkle ⅓ of Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses over the thyme mixture.
Repeat process two more times, until ingredients are used up. Pour heavy cream evenly over top of gratin. Insert pan into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 4 hours
3) While turnips cook, stir panko and olive oil together in a small bowl.
4) After the cook, sprinkle panko mixture over gratin. Return pan to Suvie and broil for 5-6 minutes until golden brown, rotating pan halfway through cooking. Allow gratin to cool 5 minutes before garnishing with parsley, cutting into slices, and serving.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 4 hours.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 415, Total Fat 28g, Total Carbohydrates 25g, Total Sodium 693mg, Total Protein 18g