To add a little artistry to your first meal of the day try these breakfast berry trifles packed with fresh fruit, yogurt, and blueberry muffin cake. For the cake layer we reformulated our favorite blueberry muffin recipe to fit seamlessly into your Suvie. The rectangular shape is easier to cut into even pieces for layering between yogurt and berries. If you have a biscuit cutter roughly the same size as your serving glass feel free to use it instead of cutting the cake into rectangles. You can use any type of yogurt you like when assembling the trifle, but stick to plain yogurt when making the cake; most flavored yogurts have added sugar, which may make the cake too sweet.
Breakfast Berry Trifle
For the Muffin Cake:
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour, plus 2 tsp, separated
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp table salt
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- ¾ cups blueberries
- 2 cups yogurt, plain or flavored
- 2 cups mixed berries such as blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries
1) Spray a Suvie pan with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder. baking soda, and salt.
3) Beat butter and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add egg and lemon zest, and beat to incorporate.
4) Reduce speed to low and add the flour mixture until just incorporated. Add the yogurt and mix until incorporated. Fold blueberries into the batter by hand (if using frozen blueberries, toss with 2 tsp of flour before incorporating), scraping the bottom of the bowl to ensure no pockets of flour remain.
5) Spread batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. Insert into your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 1 hour
Starch: 0 minutes
6) Remove pan from your Suvie and allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove muffin cake from pan, transfer to a cooling rack, and allow to cool completely before assembling.
7) Cut muffin cake into 4 pieces. With a serrated knife parallel to the counter, cut muffin cake pieces in half. You should have 8 pieces total.
8) Spoon 2 tbsp yogurt into the bottom of a tall, clear glass followed by 2 tbsp berries. Top berries with one portion of cake, trimming edges of cake as necessary to fit into glass. Repeat process with another layer of yogurt, berries, and cake. Repeat process with remaining three glasses.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 730, Total Fat 27g, Total Carbohydrates 97g, Total Sodium 340mg, Total Protein 27g