This delicious chili mac and cheese is one the whole family will love. Chili powder and cumin add ample amounts of flavor to tender beans, tangy tomatoes, savory beef, and melty cheese. We developed this kid-friendly recipe without any spice, but feel free to add ¼ tsp cayenne or red pepper flakes if you like the heat. Note: for this recipe, do not use pre-shredded cheese, which has anti-caking agents that can make the mac and cheese grainy.
Chili Mac and Cheese
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 8 oz monterey jack cheese
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
1) Place 8 oz elbow macaroni and 1 tbsp salt in the Suvie starch strainer set within the Suvie pasta pot (green handles). Place pot inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Close the door, input settings, and cook now.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Pasta, 8 minutes
2) While the macaroni cooks, stir 1 tbsp olive oil, ½ finely chopped onion, 1 lb ground beef, 1 tbsp chili powder, 2 tsp cumin, and 1 tsp kosher salt in a Suvie pan. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie. Stir 1 can kidney beans and 1 can fire roasted tomatoes in a second Suvie pan and place in the top zone of Suvie. Input settings, and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 400°F for 20 minutes
Top Zone: Roast at 400°F for 20 minutes
3) After the macaroni has finished cooking, drain and transfer to a large bowl with 8 oz monterey jack and 2 tbsp sour cream, stirring to combine.
4) Remove pans from Suvie and add contents to bowl with macaroni. Stir o incorporate and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide mixture between the 2 Suvie pans. Return pans to Suvie and broil for 5 minutes. Remove pans, divide chili mac and cheese between bowls, top with sliced scallions, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 510, Total Fat 27g, Total Carbohydrates 35g, Total Sodium 970mg, Total Protein 33g.