This corned beef and cabbage recipe is the easiest method for preparing this classic dish. Corned beef is typically made by salt-curing a brisket. The name ‘corned’ comes from the larger corn-shaped pieces of salt used in the curing process. Brisket, a tougher cut of beef, benefits from a long cooking time, making this slow cooked version an excellent rendition of the Irish classic. Corned beef, cabbage, carrots, and onions are slow cooked in a savory broth seasoned with pickling spices and grainy mustard. Peeled baby potatoes are cooked until tender and tossed with salted Irish butter and fresh parsley right before serving.
Note: We do not recommend scheduling this meal, as the Suvie Starch Cooker is unrefrigerated. If you would like to schedule this meal, do not peel the potatoes.
Corned Beef and Cabbage with Irish Butter Potatoes
- 3 lbs raw corned beef, portioned into 4 (12 oz) pieces
- ½ head red cabbage, cut into wedges
- ½ head green cabbage, cut into wedges
- 3 carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp pickling spices (or the spice packet available with corned beef)
- 2 lbs baby yellow potatoes, peeled
- 4 tbsp salted Irish butter
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
1) Divide corned beef, cabbage, carrots, onion, broth, mustard, and spices between two Suvie pans. Place the pans into Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on Low, 8 hours
2) Place potatoes in the Suvie starch strainer set within the Suvie pasta pot. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Potatoes, Uncut, 45 minutes
3) After the cook, transfer potatoes to a medium bowl and toss with butter and parsley until coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4) Remove corned beef from Suvie and transfer to a cutting board. Slice corned beef into thick portions. Divide corned beef, cabbage, carrots, and potatoes between 4 plates. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 976, Total Fat 55g, Total Carbohydrates 62g, Total Sodium 2639mg, Total Protein 56g