This simple, smooth, and creamy soup is ideal for chilly weather cooking, especially when hearty cold-weather squashes are in season. Butternut squash is slow simmered with vegetable broth and half and half (feel free to substitute your favorite dairy-free milk alternative for a vegan version of this recipe), and lightly seasoned with salt and ground black pepper. The maple nut crunch topping adds some fun texture and flavor to this dish. To make the crunchy topping mixed nuts (we love varieties with almonds, cashews, and hazelnuts in the blend) are coated in butter and maple syrup, and then lightly seasoned with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger before broiling to a crisp finish.
Cream of Butternut Soup with Maple Nut Crunch Topping
- 1½ lbs butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup half and half
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¾ cup mixed nuts, chopped
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
1) Divide butternut squash, broth, and half and half between two Suvie pans. Season with salt and pepper (to streamline this process you can mix everything in a large bowl and then divide the soup between the two Suvie pans). Insert both pans into the top two zones of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 2 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
2) After the cook, carefully transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Keep warm until ready to serve.
3) Line a Suvie pan with aluminum foil. Place the melted butter, maple syrup, nuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger in the prepared pan, stirring to coat.
4) Place the pan in the top right zone of your Suvie and broil topping for 5-7 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through cooking, until toasted. Remove pan from your Suvie and set aside to cool slightly.
5) Divide soup between 4 bowls, season to taste with salt and pepper, and top with maple nut crunch and chopped sage.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 282, Total Fat 20g, Total Carbohydrates 20g, Total Sodium 711mg, Total Protein 9g