This savory soup, loaded with slow cooked lentils and chickpeas, packs a hearty-healthy punch! This recipe takes many of it’s tasty cues from the traditional Tunisian dish, Lablabi, a North African chickpea soup heavily seasoned with harissa. Harissa is a flavorful condiment that consists of smoky-dried chili peppers, roasted red bell peppers, garlic, and fragrant spices like cumin, coriander, and smoked paprika. All of these delicious ingredients are blended together into a smooth paste. We blend the homemade harissa with our favorite store-bought broth (chicken or vegetable) to create a fantastic soup base for the chickpeas and lentils. A light sprinkle of cilantro and a little squeeze of lime finish our soup for an herbaceous, citrus bite.
Harissa Chickpea and Lentil Soup
- 1 dried ancho or chipotle chili pepper
- 1 cup canned or jarred roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 lime wedges, for garnish
1) Soak chili pepper in hot water until soft, about 15-20 minutes, then drain.
2) Place soaked chili pepper, roasted red peppers, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, coriander, and smoked paprika in a food processor. Blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds.
3) Divide broth and harissa paste (reserve 2 tbsp of harissa paste for garnish, optional) between two Suvie pans, whisking to combine (to streamline this process you can mix everything in a large bowl and then divide the soup between the two Suvie pans).
4) Rinse and sort lentils. Divide lentils and chickpeas between the two pans and season with salt. Insert both pans into the top two zones of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 1 hour 30 minutes
Starch: 0 minutes
5) After the cook, divide soup evenly between 4 bowls and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish soup with reserved harissa paste, cilantro, and lime wedges before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 578, Total Fat 11g, Total Carbohydrates 80g, Total Sodium 931mg, Total Protein 53g