This grain salad is vibrant, fresh, and crunchy, and is perfect as a side dish or simple lunch. Barley has a substantial texture and chew which is ideal for the punchy shallot vinaigrette. A little celery adds a fresh crunch, chickpeas add richness, and herbs add verdancy. We used dill and parsley, but you can use any combination of herbs. Mint, tarragon, and basil would also work very nicely in this recipe. Note: if you would like to schedule this meal we recommend not rinsing the barley in advance of cooking.
Herby Chickpea and Barley Salad
- 1 ½ cups pearled barley
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tbsp minced fresh dill
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
1) Rinse barley thoroughly and place in the Suvie starch strainer set within the Suvie pasta pot (green handles) with 1 tbsp kosher salt. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Grains, Barley, 25 minutes
2) While the barley cooks, whisk together 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp white wine vinegar, 1 small minced shallot, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp ground black pepper in a large bowl until smooth.
3) After cooking, rinse barley with cool water and all to drain thoroughly. Add barley, 1 can chickpeas, ¼ cup celery, 2 tbsp minced fresh dill, and 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley to the bowl with the dressing, stirring to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 300, Total Fat 9g, Total Carbohydrates 49g, Total Sodium 230mg, Total Protein 8g.