This popular dish of Ethiopia and Eritrea is a traditional spicy beef stew packed with toasty flavors and warming aromas. Simply adjust the amount of berbere seasoning in the recipe to accommodate your desired level of heat. If you’d like to make your own seasoning mix at home, combine 3 tbsp paprika, 1-2 tbsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp fenugreek, 1 tsp ginger powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp ground cardamom, 1 tsp ground coriander, ½ tsp ground cinnamon, ½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp ground cloves, ¼ tsp ground allspice, and ¼ tsp ground nutmeg.
Note: If you plan to schedule this cook but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, skip the broil step and add onions, garlic, tomato paste, berbere seasoning, sugar, and salt to medium skillet. Cook over medium low heat about 5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Transfer to Suvie pan and continue with Step 2.
- 1 lb chuck roast, cut into 1” cubes
- ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2-3 tbsp berbere seasoning blend
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup beef stock
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- 8 oz jasmine rice
1) In a Suvie pan, combine onions, garlic, tomato paste, berbere seasoning, sugar, and salt. Insert pan into the top fo your Suvie.
Broil 10 minutes, stir, and broil another 10 minutes. Do not fill reservoir before broiling.
2) Add beef broth to onion mixture, whisking to combine.
Stir beef cubes into the pan with a spatula, coating meat in sauce. Load pan into upper right cooking zone.
3) Add rice to starch pan and load into bottom right cooking zone. Wrap pita bread in aluminum foil and load into bottom left cooking zone. Fill reservoir, enter cook settings and set to Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
Low, 6 hours
Starch: 15 minutes
4) After the cook, remove pans from Suvie and stir key wat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide rice and pita between bowls, and top with key wat.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 576, Total Fat 30.4g, Total Carbohydrates 55.1g, Total Sodium 296.5mg, Total Protein 27.9g