We love matzo ball soup any time of year, but especially once the days get shorter and the temperature starts to drop. Fluffy and tender matzo balls are perfect for making in the Suvie because the gentle, constant heat doesn’t break them apart and the steamy environment ensures they cook evenly. We simmer the matzo balls separately from the chicken to ensure they have plenty of space to expand in the pan. We suggest using homemade chicken stock in this recipe, but high quality store bought will also work in a pinch.
Matzo Ball Soup
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup schmaltz (chicken fat) or vegetable oil
- 1 cup matzo meal
- ¼ cup water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into ½” pieces
- 1 tbsp schmaltz (chicken fat) or vegetable oil
- 1 (7 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 6 cups chicken broth, separated
- 1 tsp dill fronds
1) Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add schmaltz, matzo meal, water, 1 tsp kosher salt, and ½ tsp ground black pepper. Whisk until well combined. Cover and transfer to refrigerator.
2) Heat 1 tbsp schmaltz in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Pat chicken dry and add to saucepan. Sear for 1-2 minutes per side until browned. Transfer chicken to a Suvie pan.
3) Add onion, celery, carrots, and ½ tsp salt to saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Pour 2 cups broth into the saucepan, scraping the bottom of the pan. Transfer vegetable broth mixture to Suvie pan with chicken breast. Pour remaining 4 cups chicken broth into a second Suvie pan. Insert both pans into upper zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, input settings, and Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 30 minutes
Starch: 0 minutes
5) When there is 40 minutes left on the cook, remove matzo mixture from refrigerator. Scoop out heaping tablespoons of matzo mixture and roll into tight balls.
Transfer matzo balls to Suvie pan with only chicken broth.
6) After the cook, transfer chicken breast to a bowl and shred into pieces.
Divide chicken, chicken broth, and matzo balls into bowls. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper, garnish with dill fronds, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 410, Total Fat 21g, Total Carbohydrates 32g, Total Sodium 890mg, Total Protein 25g