Most recipes for pineapple chicken yield a gloppy sweet sauce that would be better served as dessert. For this recipe we infuse the sauce with plenty of fresh ginger to add brightness and heat. By cooking the pineapple separately from the chicken we are able to dry out the surface of the fruit to caramelize the sugars found naturally in the pineapple. This step meant we didn’t have to add any additional sugar other than a touch of fresh fruit juice.
- 1 lb skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 2 ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp pineapple or orange juice
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- ½ tsp cornstarch
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
1) Arrange chicken in a Suvie pan. In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp pineapple juice, 1 tbsp mirin, 1 tsp fresh ginger, and ½ tsp cornstarch until smooth. Pour mixture over chicken and insert pan into the bottom zone of Suvie.
2) Arrange 2 cups pineapple chunks on a Suvie roasting rack set in a Suvie pan. Insert pan into the top zone of Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 400°F for 30 minutes
Top Zone: Roast at 400°F for 30 minutes
3) After the cook, divide pineapple and chicken between plates. Top with scallions and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 160, Total Fat 3g, Total Carbohydrates 19g, Total Sodium 610mg, Total Protein 16g.