Provence is a region in the south of France. Provence’s borders are shared with neighboring Italy and the Mediterranean Sea, both of which greatly influence the cuisine of this iconic region. Eggplant, tomatoes, olives, garlic, basil, olive oil, and capers are key ingredients of this region (as well as this recipe). Herbs de Provence is our chief seasoning, a blend of savory herbs that expertly highlight this veggie-forward recipe. Pistou is the French version of pesto. Pistou is a combination of fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, and a touch of acid (like lemon zest or juice). In this chunky version, the pistou ingredients are not mashed or aggressively blended together (as you would with pesto in a mortar and pestle) instead, they’re chopped, torn, or crumbled and lightly tossed together.
Provençal Split Roasted Eggplant with Chunky Pistou
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp capers
- ½ cup mixed olives
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp herbs de Provence
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 medium eggplants, halved and scored
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup basil leaves
- ¼ cup crumbled Parmesan or pecorino cheese
- 1 tsp lemon zest
1) Divide 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes, 2 tsp capers, ½ cup olives, 1 minced garlic clove, ½ tsp herbs de Provence, and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes between two Suvie pans.
2) Place the 2 split and scored eggplants on top of the tomato mixture and drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tsp lemon juice. Lightly season the eggplant halves with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Place the pans in the top and bottom zones of your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 375°F for 20 minutes
Top Zone: Roast at 375°F for 20 minutes
3) While the eggplants are roasting, chop or tear basil leaves into small pieces and place in a small bowl. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, ¼ cup crumbled parmesan, and 1 tsp lemon zest to the bowl and stir to combine the pistou.
4) After the cook, remove the pans from your Suvie. Divide the tomato mix and eggplants between 2 plates and top with pistou before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 461, Total Fat 32g, Total Carbohydrates 41g, Total Sodium 748mg, Total Protein 11g.