Replace the traditional pie crust with yellow cake and you’ve got pumpkin pie cake made in just three easy layers. We’ve used store-bought yellow cake mix on the bottom, our spiced up pumpkin puree in the middle, and fluffy whipped cream on top. The pumpkin filling boasts a souffle-like texture that only gets better with the addition of whipped cream right before serving. Trust us…it’s lick-the-plate good.
Pumpkin Pie Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix, reserve 1 cup of mix for topping
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tbsp plus 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (28 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon, plus 1 tsp, separated
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup milk, any fat percentage works
- 2 cups whipped cream
1) Line two Suvie pans with parchment paper and lightly grease parchment. In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, beat together cake mix, 4 tbsp butter and 1 egg on medium-low speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
Using greased fingertips, evenly distribute layer between two parchment lined pans.
2) For the pumpkin layer, beat together pumpkin puree, brown sugar, 1 tbsp cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, vanilla extract, remaining eggs, and milk on low speed until fully incorporated, about 2 minutes.
Split layer between two pans, about 2 cups mixture each, and spread evenly.
3) For topping, beat together reserved 1 cup cake mix, 2 tbsp butter, and 1 tsp cinnamon on medium-low speed until the mixture becomes crumbly, about 1 minute.
Sprinkle layer over both pans and load into your Suvie.
4) Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook Low for 5 hours
5) After cook, remove cakes from Suvie. Slice each cake into 6 servings.
6) To serve, add one slice of cake to plate and top with whipped cream.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on Low for 5 hours.