Make this spicy slow cooker recipe your own by easily customizing the heat levels from the salsa to the peppers. Fair warning, this cornbread comes with a kick, so adjust the amount of pickled jalapenos to suit your personal preference. Sub in fresh jalapenos with seeds to really bring the heat! For an easy buttermilk substitution, add one tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar to a one-cup measuring container and fill the rest with milk, let rest five minutes, and then it’s ready to go.
Salsa Chicken and Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread
- 4 bone-in, skin-in chicken thighs
- 2 cups (16 oz) mild, medium or hot salsa
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños, chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1) Oil and season chicken thighs and place in Suvie pan. Pour salsa around chicken and load pan into upper right cooking zone.
2) For the cornbread, combine dry ingredients in medium bowl and wet ingredients in small bowl.
Pour wet into dry and stir until fully mixed. Oil Suvie pan, pour batter into pan, and load into your Suvie.
3) Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 1 hour
4) After the cook, remove cornbread from Suvie and broil chicken for 10 minutes.
5) After the broil, remove chicken from Suvie.
6) To serve, divide salsa and chicken between four plates. Serve with cornbread and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Alternative Cooking Instructions:
- Place chicken and salsa in a medium broil-safe baking dish. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes. After the cook, broil 10 minutes, until chicken skin is browned and crispy. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- For the cornbread, combine dry ingredients in medium bowl and wet ingredients in small bowl. Add wet into dry and stir until fully mixed. Pour batter into greased baking dish. Bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 1 hour.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 598, Total Fat 23g, Total Carbohydrates 59g, Total Sodium 2584mg, Total Protein 34g