This sausage casserole is a perfect weeknight dinner. Throw some diced bell pepper and onion in one pan, sausage in another and let Suvie cook this delicious meal for you. All that’s left to do is toss it all together with some cheese when Suvie’s finished and you’ve got a crowd-pleasing dinner ready to go. This recipe is also leftover approved! Feel free to use any type of sausage you like for this recipe; we used sweet Italian sausages.
Sausage, Bell Pepper, and Rice Casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 12 oz sausage links
- 1 cup brown rice
- ½ cup shredded cheddar, mozzarella or parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, for serving
1) Combine olive oil, peppers, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, basil, thyme, 1 tsp kosher salt, and 1/2 ground black pepper in a large bowl. Divide between two Suvie pans and Roast at 400°F for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through.
2) When the broil is complete, combine the vegetables in one pan, and stir in the fire-roasted tomatoes. Load pan into top zone of Suvie. Vacuum seal sausage links, place in a Suvie pan and cover with water. Load pan into bottom zone of Suvie. Enter settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide at 160°F for 1 hour, 30 minutes
Top Zone: Steam for 20 minutes
3) Place 1 cup brown rice in the Suvie rice pot (black handles). Cover pot with lid and place inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Rice, Brown Rice, 1 cup
4) After the cook, remove all pans from Suvie. Remove sausages from packaging and cut into ½-inch thick slices. In a large bowl, stir together sausage slices, peppers, brown rice, and ¼ cup cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5) Transfer mixture back into a Suvie pan. Spread remaining ¼ cup of cheese over the top of the casserole. Return pan to Suvie and broil for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned. Remove from Suvie, divide between bowls, top with parsley, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving ( servings per recipe): Calories 608, Total Fat 33.3g, Total Carbohydrates 47.7g, Total Sodium 1,292mg, Total Protein 44.5g
I bought the ingredients for this before I realized this was a 1.0 recipe. Any help on converting this to 3.0 and new Starchie would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hi Sonya, you should be able to still Sous Vide the sausages and vegetables with the same settings (160°F for 1 hour). You may need to broil the vegetables after to get them fully softened. Cook the rice according to Starchie brown rice instructions. Hope that helps!