This strata, like its ham counterpart, is great for an easy wake-up-and-serve breakfast. Prep everything the night before and set it for the morning leaving no one hungry and waiting. This vegetarian breakfast option starts with a broil of mushrooms and shallots. Then incorporating milk, eggs, and spices into a savory custard which is tossed with bread cubes. Finally mixing in the mushrooms, spinach, and gruyère for a delightfully hearty breakfast casserole. Finish with a broil to brown the melted cheese and you’ll have the whole house peeking into the kitchen wondering what’s for breakfast.
Spinach and Mushroom Strata
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 10 oz sourdough bread, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed
- 3 oz Gruyère cheese, coarsely grated, ½ cup set aside
1) Toss 1 tbsp olive oil, 8 oz mushrooms, and 1 sliced shallot in a Suvie pan until coated. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie and Roast at 400° for 15 minutes or until mushrooms have released their juices.
2) Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, nutmeg, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper in a large mixing bowl.
3) Add the cubed sourdough bread and stir to combine. When the mushrooms are done roasting, add the mushrooms mixture, 1 cup defrosted spinach, and all but ½ cup Gruyere cheese to the bowl.
4) Spray the Suvie pan with cooking spray and add the strata mixture. Sprinkle strata with remaining ½ cup of Gruyere cheese. Place pan into the bottom zone of Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 2 hours
5) After the cook, broil the strata for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and browned, watching closely to avoid burning.
6) Remove pan from Suvie, cut strata into squares and serve.