Give this herby vegetable lasagna a try and you won’t be disappointed. We’ve traded thinly sliced zucchini for pasta and baby bella mushrooms for ground meat, making this dish a delicious vegetarian and gluten-free option (if you forgo the garlic bread). To tie this whole meal together, don’t forget the garlic bread and ample amounts of cheese.
Note: If you would like to schedule this cook but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, and shallot and cook until tender, about 10 minutes, instead of broiling in Step 2.
Zucchini and Mushroom Lasagna
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into ⅛” thick strips
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped shallot
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup shredded mozzarella
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan
- ½ cup tomato paste
- ½ loaf Italian bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1) Lay zucchini strips on a paper-towel lined baking sheet.
Sprinkle both sides with ½ tsp salt. Let sit 30-45 minutes to draw out excess water, and then press firmly with a paper towel to soak up as much water as possible.
2) Stir mushrooms, garlic, shallots, and 1 tbsp olive oil together in a Suvie pan. Insert pan into top zone of your Suvie and broil 10 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
3) In a medium bowl, mix together ricotta, eggs, parsley, and basil.
4) In a medium bowl, mix together shredded mozzarella and parmesan.
5) Spread 2 tbsp tomato paste evenly over the bottom of a Suvie pan. Top tomato paste with 3-5 zucchini slices. Spread half of ricotta mixture on top of zucchini. Gently mix 2 tbsp tomato paste into ricotta mixture. Evenly distribute half of mushroom mixture over ricotta, and then sprinkle half of cheese mixture on top of mushrooms. Repeat layering process, dotting tomato paste over the mixed cheese. Load pan into your Suvie.
6) Butter bread, top with garlic, and wrap in aluminum foil. Place in Suvie pan and load into your Suvie.
7) Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook Low for 1 hour 30 minutes
8) After the cook, remove foil from bread, and return bread to Suvie pan buttered side up. Broil bread and lasagna 5-7 minutes rotating halfway through, until bread is golden brown and cheese is bubbling.
9) To serve, divide lasagna and garlic bread between plates. Garnish with fresh torn fresh basil.
Alternative Cooking Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lay zucchini strips on paper towel lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with ½ tsp salt, flip and sprinkle other side with ½ tsp salt. Let sit 30-45 minutes to draw out excess water, and then press firmly with a paper towel to soak up as much water as possible.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil, mushrooms, garlic, and shallot to a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together ricotta, eggs, parsley, and basil with a spatula.
- In a medium bowl, mix together shredded mozzarella and parmesan with a spatula.
- Begin layering lasagna in a loaf pan. Add 2 tbsp tomato paste to pan and spread to cover entire bottom. Top with 3-5 zucchini slices, and then top with half of ricotta mixture and gently mix another 2 tbsp tomato paste into ricotta mixture. Next evenly distribute half of cooked mushroom mixture over ricotta mix, and then sprinkle half of cheese mix on top of mushrooms. Repeat layering process one more time in pan, dotting the tomato paste over the mixed cheese that was just layed down for the next use of tomato paste. Bake 1 hour.
- Butter bread, top with garlic, and wrap in aluminum foil. Place in oven for final 15 minutes of lasagna cook time.
- Broil lasagna and opened bread under low heat 5-7 minutes after initial bake, until cheese and bread are golden brown.
- To serve, divide lasagna and garlic bread between plates. Garnish with fresh torn fresh basil.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on Low for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 482, Total Fat 28g, Total Carbohydrates 35g, Total Sodium 408mg, Total Protein 24g