Blood orange season is here, and we’ve taken it as a cue to make this gorgeous citrus-filled kaleidoscope cake. To get the most out of your ingredients, we recommend zesting two of the oranges for the cake filling, and then slicing the same two oranges into rounds for the bottom of the pan. Use the third orange for the blood orange juice that goes in the batter. Also, if you’re not a fan of mint, no problem, basil works great as a garnish as well. Be sure to invert the cake onto your serving platter while it’s still warm before the syrup on the bottom cools and causes the oranges to stick to the pan.
Blood Orange Upside-Down Spice Cake
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 blood oranges, zested and sliced into 1/4″ rounds
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp blood orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh blood orange juice, from about 1 orange
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground clove
- 2 cups whipped cream
- ¼ cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
1) Pour 3 tbsp melted butter over the bottom of a Suvie pan, sprinkle with ⅓ cup brown sugar, and lay slices from 2 blood oranges over the bottom of the pan.
2) In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together 4 tbsp butter, ⅔ cup brown sugar, and 1 tbsp blood orange zest on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl, add 1 egg and 1 tsp vanilla extract, and beat on medium speed until incorporated, about 30 seconds. Add ¼ cup sour cream and ¼ cup blood orange juice, and mix on slow speed until combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
3) In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 ¼ cup flour, 1 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp salt, ½ tbsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp nutmeg, and ¼ tsp clove. Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix on low speed until combined, about 1 minute.
4) Dot batter on top of blood orange slices in the Suvie pan and spread into the corners and edges with a spatula. Insert the pan into the top zone of your Suvie, input settings, and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: None
Top Zone: Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes
4) After cooking, let the cake sit 5 minutes in the pan before inverting onto a serving dish or cutting board. Cut cake into 8 pieces and serve with 2 cups whipped cream and ¼ cup mint leaves.
Nutritional Information per serving (8 servings per recipe): Calories 361, Total Fat 16.1g, Total Carbohydrates 49.3g, Total Sodium 157.7mg, Total Protein 3.4g