Unlike most vegetable dishes, the key to this recipe is to completely overcook the broccoli. While this process may seem counterintuitive, this method ensures a silky smooth texture that doesn’t compromise on flavor. Our recipe is adapted from Cook’s Illustrated’s recipe, which calls for baking soda to help break the broccoli down further. Two ounces of sharp cheddar cheese is all you need to add the tangy creaminess that is essential to this classic recipe. This recipe can easily be doubled to accommodate more eaters or if you’d like to have leftovers.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese
1) Combine butter, broccoli, onion, mustard powder, baking soda, and water together in a Suvie pan. Insert into the top of your Suvie, fill reservoir, input settings, and Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 2 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
2) After the cook, transfer broccoli mixture to a blender with the spinach and cheddar cheese. Blend on high until smooth.
Divide soup between bowls, adding boiling water as necessary to thin to the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 250, Total Fat 16g, Total Carbohydrates 18g, Total Sodium 840mg, Total Protein 14g