Hearty, simple, and zesty, Caldo Verde is a traditional Portuguese soup packed with wow-factor flavor! As the colder months set in, warm and cozy comfort food is what we crave. Caldo verde, which translates to ‘green broth’ in Portuguese, is the seasonal go-to dish for folks throughout Portugal. A healthy combination of fresh kale (the ‘green’ in green broth), yellow potatoes, and chorizo, all fabulously seasoned and simmered with garlic, onions, smoked paprika, and a dash of sherry. Slow cooking is the perfect way to bring out all the fine flavors of this soup.
Caldo Verde (Portuguese Chorizo, Kale, and Potato Soup)
- ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped kale, thick stems removed
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup cooking sherry
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 oz Spanish-style chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 lb yellow potatoes, cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1) Divide onion, garlic, kale, broth, sherry, paprika, chorizo, and potatoes between two Suvie pans, stirring to incorporate (to streamline this process you can mix everything in a large bowl and then divide the soup between the two Suvie pans). Drizzle each pan with olive oil. Insert both pans into the top two zones of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 2 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
2) After the cook, divide soup evenly between 4 bowls, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 326, Total Fat 17g, Total Carbohydrates 25g, Total Sodium 823mg, Total Protein 16g