Savory oatmeal is a great way to enjoy a warm and filling breakfast while still getting your egg and cheese fix. In this recipe we’ve taken slow cooked steel cut oats, infused them with bacon, scallions, and cheese, and topped them off with a crispy fried egg. To up the cheesiness of this dish, we use cottage cheese for creaminess and cheddar cheese for savoriness. FInish it all off with a generous amount of hot sauce and you may never go back to sweet oatmeal again.
Cheesy, Savory Oatmeal
- 1 piece bacon, chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, whites and green separated
- ½ cup steel cut oats
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp hot sauce, to serve
1) Heat bacon in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook until bacon is rendered and crisp, about 5 minutes. Stir in scallion whites and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a Suvie pan.
2) Add steel cut oats, cottage cheese, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp ground black pepper, and 2 cups water to bacon mixture, stirring to combine. Insert pan into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook Low for 2 hours
3) Just before the oatmeal is done cooking, heat 1 tsp vegetable oil in a medium nonstick skillet until shimmering. Add the eggs, cover, and cook for 5 minutes or until desired doneness.
4) Remove oatmeal from Suvie, stirring to incorporate. Add more water as necessary. Divide oatmeal between bowls, top with a fried egg, and sprinkle with cheddar cheese and reserved scallion greens.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on Low for 2 hours.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 350, Total Fat 16g, Total Carbohydrates 29g, Total Sodium 1020mg, Total Protein 24g