Hearty, spicy, and creamy, this satisfying chowder will have you feeling like you’re sitting fireside. Chorizo is packed with flavorful spices and while it tastes great on its own, it also imbues the dish with smoky, piquant flavor throughout. Win win. We used Spanish-style, cured chorizo for this recipe. If you would like to schedule this meal, but don’t want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, saute all the ingredients in Step 1 in a small skillet over medium heat for 8 minutes before proceeding with the recipe.
Chicken and Chorizo Chowder
- 2 links chorizo sausage, about 6 total oz, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb Yukon gold potatoes, cut into ½” pieces
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp minced fresh chives
1) In a Suvie pan, stir together 2 links chopped chorizo, 1 shallot, 1 rib celery, 2 garlic cloves, and 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie and broil for 12 minutes, or until browned and fragrant.
2) Remove pan from Suvie. Stir 1 lb potatoes, 2 ½ cups chicken broth, and 1 cup corn kernels into the shallot mixture. Season chicken all over with kosher salt and nestle into the corn and potato mixture. Ensure all ingredients are submerged. Return pan to Suvie, input settings, and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook Low for 4 hours
3) Remove pan from Suvie. Remove chicken thighs and transfer to a cutting board. Cut or shred chicken into pieces.
4) Transfer half remaining chowder to a blender with ¼ cup heavy cream and process on high until smooth, about 1 minute. Return mixture to Suvie pan along with chicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide between bowls, top with chives, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 520, Total Fat 27g, Total Carbohydrates 32g, Total Sodium 970mg, Total Protein 40g.