This luxurious side dish is like a heartier version of risotto. We envisioned it as a flavorful and multifaceted dish to add to your Thanksgiving table. If you have trouble finding frozen kale, you can substitute with frozen chopped spinach instead. Add a jammy, soft boiled egg to turn this side into a complete vegetarian entree.
Creamy Farro with Kale and Mushrooms
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ oz dried shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup farro
- 6 oz thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen kale, defrosted
- 2 cups vegetable broth, warmed
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
1) In a Suvie pan, combine 1 finely chopped yellow onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tbsp olive oil, and 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms. Insert into Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
2) Remove pan from Suvie and stir in 1 cup farro, 6 oz shiitake mushrooms, 1 cup kale, and 2 cups vegetable broth, pressing mixture into an even layer. Return pan to Suvie, input settings, and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on High for 2 hours
Top Zone: Slow Cook on High for 2 hours
3) After the cook, stir to incorporate and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide between plates and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 250, Total Fat 6g, Total Carbohydrates 41g, Total Sodium 720mg, Total Protein 10g.