The components of this classic soup cook in several Suvie pans, allowing each ingredient to truly shine. In one pan, diced vegetables slowly develop into a broth with the addition of herbs, stock, and soup base. Preparing the wild rice separately in the starch pan ensures the grains won’t overcook. Mushrooms and garlic cook together in a third pan, which concentrates their savoriness and releases an umami-rich liquid that’s added to the soup broth.
Note: If you would like to schedule this meal but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, heat 2 tsp olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms, mirepoix, garlic, and ½ tsp ground black pepper and cook, stirring often until softened, about 5 minutes instead of broiling in Step 2.
Creamy Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
- 1 cup mirepoix; or 1 diced celery stalk,1 diced carrot, and 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10.5 oz) can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 sprigs thyme, plus more for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup wild rice or wild rice blend
1) Stir mirepoix, 1 tsp olive oil, and ½ tsp ground black pepper together in a Suvie pan. Insert pan into the top left zone of Suvie. Stir mushrooms, garlic, and remaining 1 tsp olive oil together in a second Suvie pan, and load into upper right zone of Suvie. Broil both pans for 10 minutes.
2) When the broil is complete, stir cream of mushroom soup, stock, thyme sprigs, and bay leaf into the mirepoix; return pan to Suvie. Place wild rice and 1 tsp salt in starch pan and load into your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook Low for 1 hour
3) After the cook, mix the mushrooms and their liquid into the mirepoix mixture. Divide wild rice between 4 bowls and ladle soup over. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with thyme leaves as desired.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on Low for 1 hour.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 276, Total Fat 8g, Total Carbohydrates 44g, Total Sodium 723mg, Total Protein 11g