This easy and delicious sausage dish is reminiscent of beef stroganoff, but it is packed with flavorful Italian sausage instead of beef. The sauce is extra savory thanks to a mix of dried and fresh mushrooms with just a touch of sour cream for tanginess. Use any small pasta that you like (egg noodles are traditionally served with stroganoff, but we like elbow macaroni just as well). This recipe can easily be doubled to serve more people.
Creamy Mushrooms with Sausage
- ½ oz dried porcini mushrooms
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 oz small pasta such as elbow macaroni or fusilli
- 6.4 oz Italian sausage, vacuum sealed
- 2 tbsp sour cream
1) Place porcinis in a glass measuring cup and cover with 1 cup boiling water. Let sit 5 minutes.
2) Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and ½ tsp salt, and cook for 2 minutes until golden brown. Add cremini mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes until browned.
3) Transfer soaked porcinis to a cutting board; save the soaking liquid. Add liquid to skillet, scraping the bottom of the pan. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil, simmer for 2 minutes. Roughly chop porcinis and add to skillet.
4) Place sausages in a Suvie pan, cover with water, and insert into the top of your Suvie. Place pasta in a starch pan and insert into your Suvie. Transfer mushroom mixture to a second Suvie pan and insert into top left zone of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Settings
Protein: 160°F for 1 hour
Vegetable: 0 minutes
Starch: 12 minutes
5) After the cook, transfer pasta and mushrooms to a large bowl with sour cream and ½ tsp salt.
6) Remove sausages from packaging, cut into rounds, and stir into pasta mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste, divide between bowls, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 530, Total Fat 26g, Total Carbohydrates 48g, Total Sodium 1720mg, Total Protein 25g