This hearty dish is in a class of traditional comfort foods emblematic of Louisiana creole cuisine. Red beans (typically, red kidney beans) are slow simmered with smoky andouille sausage, garlic, onion, celery, and bell peppers. Cajun seasoning, a spice blend consisting of paprika, oregano, thyme, and cayenne (just to name a few), brings true authenticity to the dish. Folks in Louisiana typically enjoy this dish on Monday, utilizing leftover ingredients from Sunday’s big dinner, but we are happy to eat it any day of the week!
Note: This recipe requires Suvie 2.0 and the Suvie Starch Cooker. To make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, set the rice to cook for 15 minutes in Step 2.
Creole Red Beans and Rice
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
1) Whisk together 1 1/2 cups broth, 1/2 cup tomato paste, and 2 tsp cajun seasoning in a large measuring cup or bowl.
2) Divide 1/2 cup onion, 4 garlic cloves, 1 celery stalk, 1 bell pepper, 1 lb sausage, and 2 cans beans between two Suvie pans, stirring to combine. Divide broth mixture between the two pans and place in Suvie. Place rice in the Suvie starch pot and insert into the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring the pot is centered on the hot plate. Enter settings for long grain rice. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on Low, 3 hours
Top Zone: Slow Cook on Low, 3 hours
3) After the cook, remove pans from your Suvie. Season bean mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Fluff rice with a fork and divide between 4 bowls. Spoon bean mixture over the rice and garnish with parsley.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 677, Total Fat 19g, Total Carbohydrates 80g, Total Sodium 1444mg, Total Protein 43g