Enjoy an upscale version of your favorite steak shawarma sandwich right in the comfort of your own home. Two hefty strip steaks are amply seasoned with ground cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, and salt. These well seasoned steaks are then perfectly cooked, sous vide-style, medium rare, before being seared and sliced. A classic shawarma accompaniment, chopped Israeli salad (tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, and parsley), adds zesty freshness. A light drizzle of tahini adds a creamy finishing touch.
Cumin Steak Shawarma with Israeli Chop Salad and Tahini
- 2 (8 oz) strip steaks
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced tomato
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tbsp for searing steaks
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup tahini
- 4 naan flatbreads, toasted
1) Pat strip steaks dry with paper towels and season with cumin, coriander, paprika, and salt. Using your hands, rub the spices into the steak.
Vacuum seal steaks using a vacuum sealer or with our DIY vacuum sealing guide. Place sealed steaks in a Suvie pan and fill the pan with water. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Setting
Protein: 130°F, 1 hour
Vegetable: 0 minutes
Starch: 0 minutes
2) After the cook, remove the pan from your Suvie. Drain excess water from the pan, remove steaks from the vacuum-sealed bags and pat steaks dry thoroughly with paper towels.
3) Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the steaks and sear on all sides until browned, about 30 seconds per side.
Remove steaks from the skillet and set aside to rest, about 5 minutes, before slicing in 1/2-inch thick slices.
4) In a medium bowl, stir together cucumber, tomato, onion, parsley, olive oil, and lemon juice. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper.
5) Divide naan between 4 plates and top with steak and salad. Drizzle with tahini before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 634 Total Fat 37g, Total Carbohydrates 40g, Total Sodium 1082mg, Total Protein 40g