Esquites is a corn salad that merges creamy, spicy, sweet, and savory flavors into one harmonious dish. We love to serve esquites as a side dish with grilled meats, vegetables, or other barbecued items. Fresh corn kernels are essential for their sweet pop of flavor, which is difficult to replicate with canned or frozen corn.
Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels, cut from the cob, from about 3 ears of corn
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp queso fresco or feta, crumbled
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice, from 1 large lime
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves
1) Combine 2 tbsp vegetable oil, 1 minced serrano pepper, and 1 minced garlic clove in a Suvie pan. Insert pan into bottom of Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Broil at 500°F for 20 minutes
Top Zone: Broil at 500°F for 0 minutes
2) After 5 minutes, remove pan from Suvie and stir in 2 cups fresh corn kernels. Return pan to your Suvie and continue to broil for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through.
3) Remove pan from Suvie and transfer to a medium bowl. Add 2 tbsp mayonnaise, ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper, ½ tsp chili powder, 3 tbsp queso fresco, and 1 tsp fresh lime juice. Stir to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 180, Total Fat 14g, Total Carbohydrates 14g, Total Sodium 115mg, Total Protein 3g.