Love French toast, but don’t want to cook individual slices over a hot griddle? This recipe brings together everything you love about traditional French toast in one simple to prepare and sliceable dish. There is no pre soaking step, so you can use fresh (untoasted bread) for this recipe.
French Toast Casserole for a Crowd
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 8 slices potato bread
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup maple syrup
1) In a medium bowl, stir together ⅔ cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp cinnamon, ½ tsp ground nutmeg, and ¼ tsp salt.
2) Grease a Suvie pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle ¼ of the sugar mixture over the bottom of the pan. Arrange 4 slices of bread across the bottom of the pan, cutting bread as needed to cover the entirety of the pan. Brush with ½ the butter and ¼ of the sugar mixture.
3) Arrange another layer of 4 bread slices and brush with remaining butter and sprinkle ¼ of the sugar mixture. In a large bowl, whisk 1 cup milk and 3 large eggs together until smooth. Pour over the bread. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie, input settings, and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Bake at 350°F for 43 minutes (for Suvie 2.0, Bake at 400°F)
Top Zone: None
4) Remove from Suvie and sprinkle on remaining sugar mixture. Return pan to Suvie and Broil until crisp, about 8 minutes (for Suvie 2.0, about 4 minutes), watching closely to avoid burning. Remove from Suvie and let cool for 5 minutes before cutting into slices and serving with maple syrup.
Nutritional Information per serving (8 servings per recipe): Calories 340, Total Fat 8g, Total Carbohydrates 61g, Total Sodium 240mg, Total Protein 7g.