Although the origin of the Frito Pie is a highly disputed topic with New Mexico and Texas both laying claim to its beginnings, one thing we can all agree on is its beautiful and delicious simplicity. Whether this dish is served in the Frito bag or in a bowl bigger than we’d like to admit, the salty crunch of the Fritos mixed with slow simmered chili is a flawless match. Top it all off with cool sour cream, freshly grated cheddar cheese, and bright green onions to bring this tried and true staple to perfection.
Frito Pie with Beef Chili
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 packet chili seasoning
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sliced green onion
- 4 cups Fritos
1) Cook ground beef in a medium skillet over medium high heat until no longer pink, about 7-10 minutes. Divide meat evenly between two Suvie pans.
2) Divide kidney beans, crushed tomatoes, garlic, onion, and chili seasoning evenly between the two pans. Load pans into upper cooking zones.
3) Fill reservoir, enter cook settings and Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
Slow Cook: High, 4 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
4) After the cook, remove chili from Suvie.
5) To serve, add ¾ cup Fritos to bottom of each bowl. Split chili between bowls and top with sour cream, cheese, green onions, and remaining Fritos.
Alternative Cooking Instructions:
- Cook ground beef in a medium skillet over medium high heat until meat is no longer pink, about 7-10 minutes.Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add kidney beans, crushed tomatoes, garlic, onion, and chili seasoning to slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours, until onions are translucent.
- To serve, add ¾ cup fritos to bottom of each bowl. Split chili between bowls and top with sour cream, cheese, green onions, and remaining fritos
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 796, Total Fat 41g, Total Carbohydrates 57g, Total Sodium 947mg, Total Protein 50g