This light and simple take on a North African soup named Harira focuses on the garbanzo beans, lentils, and tomatoes. However, we’ve decided to complete the meal by topping our bowls with greek yogurt and celery leaves. While we’ve used beef broth for an earthy and meaty flavor boost, feel free to make this soup vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead. Either way, make sure you have pita on hand to soak up every last drop. For a sweeter take, try a light drizzle of honey over your bowl of soup.
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped celery
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups beef broth
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 oz thin noodles, broken into quarters, such as vermicelli or angel hair
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- ½ cup celery leaves
1) In a large bowl, combine celery, tomato paste, ginger, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, lentils, beef broth, cilantro, noodles, 1½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper. Divide mixture between two Suvie pans and load into Suvie. Enter cook settings and set to Cook Now or Schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom: Slow Cook High for 1 hour
2) After the cook, remove pans from Suvie, stir, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide soup between bowls, top with yogurt and celery leaves, and serve with pita.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pans into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 1 hour.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 303, Total Fat 3g, Total Carbohydrates 54g, Total Sodium 210mg, Total Protein 18g