These zesty squares are based on a Southern staple known as chess bars, which are traditionally made with yellow cake mix, cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar. We’ve added lemon juice and zest to help brighten the cream mixture, and we’ve also sprinkled some ground ginger into the yellow cake mix to add a kick of spice. For cleaner cuts when serving, allow the bars to cool completely before slicing and wipe off the knife between cuts to prevent tearing.
Lemon Ginger Chess Squares
- 1 (15.25 oz) box yellow cake mix
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ cup (8 tbsp) salted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest, about 1 lemon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
1) In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together 1 box yellow cake mix, 1 tsp ground ginger, ½ cup salted butter, and 1 egg on medium low speed until combined, about 1 minute. Divide and gently spread mixture between two parchment lined and greased Suvie pans. Insert pans into Suvie, input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes (for Suvie 3.0 bake at 350°F for 15 minutes)
Top Zone: Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes (for Suvie 3.0 bake at 350°F for 15 minutes)
2) In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat 8 oz cream cheese on medium speed until soft and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat eggs into the cream cheese mixture one at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each one before adding the next. Turn off the mixer and change the speed to low. Add in 3 cups powdered sugar, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp lemon zest, ½ tsp vanilla extract, and ¼ tsp salt and mix until fully combined, about 1 minute. Pour mixture over baked cake and return pans to Suvie. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Setting
Bottom Zone: Bake at 400°F for 40 minutes (for Suvie 3.0 bake at 350°F for 40 minutes)
Top Zone: Bake at 400°F for 40 minutes (for Suvie 3.0 bake at 350°F for 40 minutes)
3) Remove squares from Suvie and let them cool completely before slicing.
Nutritional Information per serving (16 servings per recipe): Calories 337, Total Fat 13g, Total Carbohydrates 52g, Total Sodium 378mg, Total Protein 4g