Lemon poppyseed cake is sweet, tangy, bright, and perfect for pairing with a hot cup of black coffee at breakfast. A long broil at the end of cooking gives this pillowy soft cake an irresistibly crunchy finish. Don’t be alarmed that this cake comes out looking a little wet, the top will set after broiling. For those who just can’t get enough of those crispy edges, the cake can be inverted and returned to the pan so that the bottom can be broiled. To finish, we love the look of a lemony glaze, but if you’d like your coffee cake a little less sweet it can be omitted.
Lemon Poppyseed Coffee Cake
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon zest, plus 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp poppyseeds
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1) Spray a Suvie pan with cooking spray and line with parchment. Stir buttermilk and 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice together in a glass measuring cup. In a medium bowl, whisk together poppy seeds, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
2) In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 6 minutes.
2) Reduce speed to low and add the eggs one at a time followed by the lemon zest, stopping mixture and scraping down the sides as needed.
4) With the mixer on low, add half the flour mixture followed by half the buttermilk mixture. Repeat process, allowing each component to be incorporated before adding the next. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
5) Transfer batter to prepared pan, insert pan into your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 1 hour and 30 minutes
6) After the cook, broil for 4-8 minutes until golden brown.
Remove pan from Suvie and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Whisk powdered sugar and 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice together in a large bowl until smooth. Remove cake from pan and allow to cool completely before topping with glaze.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 470, Total Fat 19g, Total Carbohydrates 69g, Total Sodium 240mg, Total Protein 7g