We love rich and hearty beef stroganoff for its perfect balance of creaminess and savoriness, tender chunks of beef, and soft egg noodles. We wanted all the same elements we love in the original dish, but without the meat. We use three types of mushrooms for both texture and flavor. Umami boosting tomato paste and soy sauce play up the meatiness, while keeping this dish vegetarian.
- ½ oz dried porcini mushrooms
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 lb shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup dry white vermouth
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup sour cream
- 8 oz egg noodles
1) Place ½ oz dried porcini mushrooms in a Pyrex measuring cup and pour 1 cup boiling water over. Let sit.
2) Divide cremini mushrooms and oyster mushrooms between 2 Suvie pans. Place pans in Suvie, input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 400°F for 20 minutes
Top Zone: Roast at 400°F for 20 minutes
3) Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup onion and ¼ tsp salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add 3 minced garlic cloves and 1 tbsp tomato paste, stirring often until tomato paste is brick red, about 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat and add vermouth and soy sauce, scraping the bottom of the pan.
4) Remove pans from Suvie, pouring off any liquid from the mushrooms. Combine mushrooms and onion mixture together in one Suvie pan. Transfer porcinis to a cutting board and finely chop, reserving the soaking liquid. Whisk 1 tbsp cornstarch into the soaking liquid until smooth. Add porcinis and soaking liquid to the pan with the other mushrooms. Place pan in Suvie, input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 400°F for 40 minutes
Top Zone: None
5) Place egg noodles in the Suvie starch strainer set within the Suvie pasta pot (green handles). Cover pot with lid and place inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring the pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Pasta, 4 cups, 8 minutes
6) After the cook, remove pans from Suvie. Stir sour cream into the mushrooms and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide egg noodles between plates and top with mushroom stroganoff.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 360, Total Fat 11g, Total Carbohydrates 51g, Total Sodium 450mg, Total Protein 11g.