This chili is hearty, healthy and delicious in one bowl. Not only is it a snap to put together but the spices give it a delightful kick that most vegan chilis lack. The recipe makes enough to have for dinner tonight and leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch so you don’t need to worry about prepping multiple meals. Feel free to add a starch such as quinoa or farro to your starch cooker if you’re looking for a very filling meal. This chili also freezes well so you can save extra for your next meatless meal.
Pumpkin and Bean Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup sour cream
1) Combine 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 cup onion, 1 bell pepper, 1 jalapeño, 3 garlic cloves, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp cumin, 2 tsp chili powder, and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper in a Suvie pan. Place pan in Suvie and broil for 15 minutes or until softened and fragrant.
2) Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine 1 cup vegetable broth, 1 can tomatoes, 1 can pinto beans, 1 can kidney beans, 1 can pumpkin puree, and 1 cup sweet potato. After the broil, stir the onion mixture into the bean mixture. Divide the chili between two Suvie pans. Insert pans into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook Low for 2 hours
3) After the cook, remove the pans from Suvie, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide between bowls and serve with cilantro, red onion, and sour cream.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pans into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on Low for 2 hours.
Nutrition Info per Serving: Calories 500, Fat 9g, Sodium 470mg, Carbs 84g, Protein 24g