These pretty-as-a-picture layered parfaits balance rich, creamy coconut custard with the tartness of fresh rhubarb. Play up the coconut flavor by using coconut extract, which can be found in baking supply stores or well-stocked supermarkets, or take a more traditional direction by flavoring with vanilla extract. Served as a light springtime dessert, or topped with granola and berries for a lovely brunch dish, these little treats will add color to any table.
Rhubarb and Coconut Cream Parfait
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tsp coconut or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp powdered gelatin
- 1 cup fresh rhubarb, sliced
1) In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, coconut milk, half of sugar, coconut extract, and a pinch of salt until sugar has dissolved. Stir in gelatin.
2) Place the Suvie egg tray in a Suvie pan and evenly divide mixture between 4 egg cups. Insert Suvie pan into upper right cooking zone. Fill Suvie pan with water until water reaches top of egg tray (do not allow water to flow into egg tray).
3) In a separate Suvie pan, toss rhubarb with remaining 2 tbsp sugar and insert into upper left cooking zone. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook & Starch Settings
Low, 2 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
4) After the cook, carefully remove pans from Suvie and remove egg tray from pan. Cover compote and egg tray and place in refrigerator until cool, about 2-4 hours.
5) When creams and compote have chilled, carefully remove coconut creams by pushing from bottom of egg tray. Place each cream into a small serving dish, ramekin, or onto a small plate. Stir rhubarb slices until they reach a jam-like consistency, then divide compote evenly between servings. Serve or return to refrigerator to serve later.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 228, Total Fat 17g, Total Carbohydrates 17g, Total Sodium 18mg, Total Protein 4g