Ever pass by those cute little mini-sized vegetables in the grocery store and wonder what you could make with them? Well, we would strongly recommend this recipe as an intro into baby vegetable cookery. These miniature veggie varieties are not some weird grocery store occurrence. These specialty fruits and vegetables have either been harvested before they’ve reached full size (immature) or bred specifically for a smaller size – either way, these minis are very tasty. These veggies are simply dressed in an olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice drizzle before being roasted tender. They’re served over a creamy bed of whole milk ricotta and garnished with toasted hazelnuts and fresh basil.
Roasted Baby Vegetables with Ricotta and Hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp hazelnuts
- 1-2 small baby eggplants, halved
- 4 baby zucchini
- 4 baby carrots, peeled
- 4 baby bell peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 4 basil leaves, chopped or torn
1) Place 2 tbsp of hazelnuts in a Suvie pan and place this pan in the top zone of your Suvie. Roast at 400°F for 2 minutes or until the hazelnuts are golden and fragrant. Remove the pan from your Suvie and set the hazelnuts aside to cool before chopping.
2) While the hazelnuts are cooling, place halved eggplant (1-2 baby eggplant depending on their size), 4 baby zucchini, 4 baby carrots, and 4 baby bell peppers in another Suvie pan. Sprinkle veggies with 2 minced garlic cloves and drizzle with 3 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp lemon juice. Season veggies with ½ tsp salt, pinch of black pepper, and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. Place the pan in the bottom zone of your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 400°F for 15 minutes
Top Zone: Roast at 400°F for 0 minutes
3) After the cook, remove the pan from your Suvie. Divide 1 cup of ricotta between 2 plates and spread out in an even layer. Top ricotta with roasted veggies, drizzling the veggies with any remaining pan juices. Sprinkle with basil and hazelnuts before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 303, Total Fat 27g, Total Carbohydrates 11g, Total Sodium 649mg, Total Protein 8g.