The gentle heat of Suvie is ideal for cooking risotto. Instead of continuously stirring on the stovetop, the rice and chicken broth roast together for one hour and then are vigorously whisked at the end to release the starches in the rice, yielding a silky, pourable risotto. Choose a homemade or high quality chicken broth, we like Better Than Bouillon. Note: We don’t recommend scheduling this meal, as the broth needs to be added hot to the rice in Step 1.
Roasted Risotto with Caramelized Onion & Bacon
- 1 ½ cups arborio rice
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth, hot, divided
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 slices (8 oz) bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp minced fresh parsley or chives
1) In a Suvie pan, stir together 1 ½ cups rice, 4 cups hot chicken broth, 2 tsp olive oil, and ½ tsp salt. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie.
2) In a second Suvie pan, stir together chopped bacon and onion. Place pan in the top zone of Suvie. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 375°F for 45 minutes
Top Zone: Roast at 400°F for 35 minutes
3) After the cook, remove pans from Suvie. Add 1 cup hot chicken broth and stir risotto vigorously for 1 minute to thicken.
4) Drain bacon and onion in a fine mesh strainer, discarding oil. Stir bacon and onion into the risotto. Add additional hot broth to achieve desired texture, up to 2 more cups. Divide between bowls. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide between bowls and top with fresh herbs.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 570, Total Fat 29g, Total Carbohydrates 60g, Total Sodium 550mg, Total Protein 16g.