With a little prep the night before, you can wake up and start your day with this southern classic. Grab a pound of your favorite uncased breakfast sausage and cook it up, or keep prep simple with precooked sausage crumbles. We highly recommend using whole milk for this dish as milk with less fat is more likely to curdle from the heat.
Note: If you would like, add 1-2 tsps homemade Breakfast Sausage Seasoning to add even more flavor to this delicious meal.
Note: If you would like to schedule this meal but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, saute the sausage in a medium skillet over medium high heat until no longer pink, about 6 minutes, instead of broiling in Step 1.
Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
- 1 lb uncased breakfast sausage
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 can store-bought biscuit dough, about 8 biscuits
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
1) Add breakfast sausage to Suvie pan and break up with spatula. Broil or sauté in a skillet for 10 minutes, until no longer pink. If cooking gravy immediately, cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, until no longer pink.
Briefly place cooked sausage in paper towel lined bowl to drain fat, and then add sausage to Suvie pan.
2) In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and ½ cup whole milk. Add to remaining 2 ½ cups milk. Whisk in egg yolks to milk mixture.
Pour over sausage. Load pan into your Suvie.
3) Open biscuit can and cut each biscuit in half. Place in a separate Suvie pan and load into your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 3 hours
4) After cook, remove pans from Suvie.
5) To serve, divide biscuits and gravy between plates. Garnish with red pepper flakes.
Alternative Cooking Instructions:
- Cook biscuits according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage until no longer pink.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and ½ cup of milk with a whisk. Add to remaining 2 ½ cups milk. Whisk in egg yolks to milk mixture. Pour over sausage.
- Bring mixture to a low boil then immediately reduce heat to low. Stir frequently with a spatula and simmer mixture until desired thickness is reached, about 10-15 minutes.
- To serve, split biscuits and gravy between plates. Garnish with red pepper flakes.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 3 hours.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 580, Total Fat 34g, Total Carbohydrates 46g, Total Sodium 1359mg, Total Protein 22g