Rice porridge is a celebrated dish all throughout Asia. Known by many names; congee, jok, jook, khao, and cháo, it’s a tasty way to enjoy breakfast or to have a satisfying meal throughout the day. In this Thai-style rice porridge recipe, similar to Khao Tom Gai, we pay homage to some of the delicious flavors found in the region. Bite-sized pieces of tender chicken are slow cooked in ginger and garlic before being tossed in a sticky sauce for a quick broil and caramelization. The sauce is seasoned with sambal (a flavorful chili paste), soy sauce, fish sauce, and honey. The rice porridge is slow cooked in a savory broth along with coconut milk for an extra creamy finish and to provide some cooling balance to the sweet-spicy chicken. Fresh cilantro, basil, lime, thinly sliced red onion, and a little extra sambal (for those who like it spicy) finish the dish, adding even more vibrancy to this tasty recipe.
Sticky Thai Chicken with Coconut Rice Porridge
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sambal (plus extra for garnish)
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 (1-inch) piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- ½ cup jasmine rice
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- ½ cup red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 lime wedges for garnish
1) Place fish sauce, sambal, soy sauce, honey, and cornstarch in a small bowl, whisking to combine. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
2) Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Add garlic and ginger to the bowl with the chicken and toss to coat. Transfer the seasoned chicken to a Suvie pan and place in the top right zone of your Suvie.
3) Rinse rice under cool running water. Place broth, coconut milk, and salt in another Suvie pan, whisking to combine. Add rice to the broth mixture and stir to combine. Place the pan in the top left zone of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 2 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
4) After the cook, remove the chicken from your Suvie. Discard any excess liquid in the pan. Drizzle chicken with reserved sauce, stirring to coat. Return the pan to your Suvie and broil chicken for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through, until sauce thickens.
5) Divide rice porridge between 4 bowls and top with chicken. Garnish with cilantro, basil, red onion, reserved sambal, and lime wedges before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 857, Total Fat 33g, Total Carbohydrates 45g, Total Sodium 2276mg, Total Protein 96g