Let Suvie help you get some of the holiday cooking done this year, and try this slow cooked brown sugar and pecan sweet potato casserole. With plenty of brown sugar, salt, and orange juice, this recipe strikes a beautiful sweet, salty, and acidic balance. If marshmallows are a must for your sweet potato casserole, add ½ cup marshmallows in with the pecans after the bake and broil 5-7 minutes to get a delicious melty finish.
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½” cubes
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- ¼ cup plus ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed and divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped pecans
1) Place sweet potatoes, butter, orange juice, ¼ cup brown sugar, ¼ tsp salt, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl, stirring to combine.
2) Pour contents into Suvie pan and load into your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 4 hours
3) After the cook, stir sweet potatoes with spoon and lightly mash to mix in juices while still keeping chunks of sweet potato.
Mix pecans, ¼ cup brown sugar, and ⅛ tsp salt in a small bowl and sprinkle over sweet potatoes.
Return pan to Suvie and broil 5-7 minutes until pecans are toasted.
4) To serve, divide potatoes between plates.
Alternative Cooking Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and add butter, orange juice, ¼ cup brown sugar, ¼ tsp salt, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss to combine with a spatula.
- Pour contents of bowl into 9″x9″ baking dish and bake 40-45 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- After initial bake, stir potatoes with spoon and lightly mash to mix in juices while still keeping chunks of potato. Mix pecans, ¼ cup brown sugar, and ⅛ tsp salt in small bowl with spoon and sprinkle over potatoes. Broil 5-7 minutes until pecans are toasted.
- To serve, divide potatoes between plates.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 4 hours.
Nutritional Information per serving (8 servings per recipe): Calories 214, Total Fat 6g, Total Carbohydrates 37g, Total Sodium 101mg, Total Protein 2g