Juicy, cumin-rubbed steak tips meet tender, garlicky pinto beans in this summery Tex-Mex meal. Sous vide and then seared to perfection, the steak tips are served with tangy pickled red onion for a jolt of flavor. We like our steaks medium-rare, but if you’d prefer a different level of doneness, check out our temperature guide to find the settings that work for you.
Tex-Mex Steak Tips
- 2 lbs sirloin steak tips, cut into 2″ cubes
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion, divided
- 2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
1) Generously season steak tips all over with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Vacuum seal steak and place in a Suvie pan. Cover pan completely with water and place in the bottom zone of Suvie. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous vide at 130°F for 2 hours
Top Zone: Nome
2) In a small bowl, combine half (½ cup) of the red onion and 2 tbsp vinegar, set aside.
3) After the steak is done cooking, remove steaks from packing and pat dry thoroughly and season all over with 2 tsp cumin. Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a large cast iron or heavy-bottom skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add the steaks and sear until brown, about 1 minute per side. Set steaks aside and tent with foil.
4) Reduce heat to medium and stir in remaining red onion and 2 garlic cloves. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in 2 cans pinto beans and 1 cup chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes until liquid is reduced by half. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5) Divide beans between plates and top with steak tips. Garnish steak with reserved pickled red onion and cilantro leaves.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 540, Total Fat 26g, Total Carbohydrates 21g, Total Sodium 340mg, Total Protein 53g.