This delicious vegetarian rice bowl is a multifaceted mix of spicy, sweet, salty, and sour flavors. Crumbling the tofu instead of cubing it provides more nooks and crannies for the sauce to soak into. A side of thinly sliced red cabbage adds some crunch to the soft tofu and tender rice.
Thai Tofu Rice Bowls
- 1 (15 oz) block firm tofu
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeño, stemmed and finely chopped
- 2 tsp sambal oelek
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or fish sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
1) Arrange 1 block tofu between double layers of paper towels and place a heavy pot or cutting board on top to drain.
2) Meanwhile, combine 3 tbsp vegetable oil, 1 tbsp ginger, 3 garlic cloves, and 1 chopped jalapeño in a Suvie pan. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie and broil for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
3) Remove pan from Suvie. In a small bowl, stir together 2 tsp sambal oelek, 3 tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp brown sugar, 2 tsp fresh lime juice until sugar dissolves. Crumble drained tofu with your hands into the pan, and pour sauce over. Stir to coat tofu in sauce. Return pan to Suvie.
4) Place 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage in a second Suvie pan and sprinkle with ½ tsp kosher salt. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 2 hours
5) Place 1 cup jasmine rice in the Suvie rice pot (black handles) and cover with lid. Place pot in the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Rice, Medium Grain, 1 Cup
6) After cooking, remove pans from Suvie. Stir tofu and season to taste with salt and pepper. Broil cabbage for 15 minutes or until softened.
7) Divide rice between bowls and top with cabbage and tofu. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 410, Total Fat 17g, Total Carbohydrates 67g, Total Sodium 340mg, Total Protein 17g.