Sofrito is a Spanish word used to describe any collection of finely chopped vegetables or herbs that have been lightly fried or sautéd. Spanish colonists brought sofrito to the Caribbean and Latin America where it is an integral part of many cuisines. In this recipe, finely chopped poblano, onion, and garlic bolster spicy and fragrant tofu, which is served on top of tangy lime rice. Topped with cilantro and avocado, this vegetarian meal is bursting with flavor. Note: For a less spicy sofrito, reduce the amount of adobo sauce to 1 tbsp or omit entirely.
- 1 (15 oz) package firm tofu
- 1 poblano pepper, stemmed and seeded, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, minced, plus 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, to serve
- 1 avocado, sliced, to serve
- 4 cups tortilla chips, to serve
1) Cut tofu into ½” planks and press between a double layer of paper towels or 2 kitchen towels.
2) In a Suvie pan, stir together poblano pepper, onion, garlic, vegetable oil, cumin, and smoked paprika. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie and broil for 12 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
3) Remove pan from your Suvie and add minced chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, tomato paste, 1 tsp salt, and ¼ cup vegetable broth. Using your hands, crumble pressed tofu into the pan. Stir to combine and then return pan to Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High, 2 hours
4) Place 1 cup jasmine rice in the Suvie rice pot (black handles). Cover pot with lid and place pot inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring the pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Rice, Long Grain, 1 Cup
5) Remove pans from your Suvie. Fluff rice with a fork. Zest lime over the rice and stir to combine. Cut lime in half and squeeze one half over the tofu, stirring to incorporate. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide rice and sofritos between bowls and garnish with optional toppings.
Nutritional Information per serving ( 4 servings per recipe): Calories 335 , Total Fat 17g, Total Carbohydrates 34g, Total Sodium 1095mg, Total Protein 13g