Give this stunning cornbread a try on your next chili night! We’ve swapped out traditional cornmeal in favor of white masa harina for a distinctive tamale-style flavor. And we’ve also added broiled red onions and pickled jalapeños for a slightly spicy, super flavorful topping. Whether you choose to dunk it in your chili bowl or top it with honey butter, this crowd pleaser won’t last long!
Upside-Down Jalapeño and Red Onion Cornbread
- ½ medium red onion, cut into ⅛-inch thick slices
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeño pepper slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ cups white masa harina
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- ½ cup full fat Greek yogurt
1) Line a Suvie pan with aluminum foil. Add ½ cup red onion slices and ¼ cup pickled jalapeños to the pan and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place pan in Suvie and broil 15 minutes until golden brown.
2) In a large bowl, mix together 1 ½ cups white masa harina, 1 cup all purpose flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp kosher salt, ¼ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp smoked paprika, and 2 tbsp brown sugar. Add 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, ½ cup Greek yogurt, and 2 tbsp olive oil. Mix until just combined with no lumps.
3) Remove pan from Suvie. Arrange onions and jalapeños so that they are evenly distributed in the pan. Dollop spoonfuls of batter into the pan on top of the onions and jalapeños. Use a spatula to smooth the top of the batter, making sure to fill the corners. Load pan into the bottom zone of your Suvie, input settings, and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes
Top Zone: None
4) After cooking, remove pan from Suvie and let cool 5 minutes. Run a knife along the edges of the pan, then place a cutting board or serving tray on top of your Suvie pan and flip the cornbread onto the board. Slice and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (8 servings per recipe): Calories 249, Total Fat 9.3g, Total Carbohydrates 33.7g, Total Sodium 503.7mg, Total Protein 7.5g