This classic and comforting chili is brimming with aromatic spices, hearty ground beef, tender beans, and tangy tomatoes. By starting the chili on the stovetop, the spices can be quickly toasted, which boosts their flavor, and the beef can be browned, which helps to remove some fat before slow cooking in the Suvie. Finish your chili with an array of toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, or crushed tortilla chips.
Ground Beef Chili
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo, minced, plus 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans
- 1 tsp lime juice
1) Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onion and ½ tsp and cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Add the beef, breaking the meat up into smaller pieces with a spoon. Continue to cook until meat is browned and no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
2) Skim off and discard excess fat from pan. Add garlic, cumin, chile powder, paprika, chipotle chile, adobo sauce and ½ tsp ground pepper to the beef, stirring to incorporate. Continue to cook until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
3) Divide beans with liquid and tomatoes with liquid and 1 cup water between two Suvie pans. Remove skillet from heat and divide beef mixture between both Suvie pans. Insert pans into the top of your Suvie, fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 3 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
4) After the cook, stir chili and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide between bowls, garnish with desired toppings, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 330, Total Fat 20g, Total Carbohydrates 13g, Total Sodium 880mg, Total Protein 25g