Yakitori, one of Japan’s most delicious and portable snacks, comes in both salty and salty-sweet varieties. Typically skewered and then grilled, our yakitori recipe flips the standard method on its head. First we sous vide chunks of chicken thigh in a salty sweet marinade of soy sauce, mirin, sake, and sugar. Then we thread the chicken onto skewers and broil until crisp. The skewers make flipping the chicken easier and provide more portability to the finished dish. If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them for at least an hour before using.
[recipe title=”Yakitori Chicken Thighs” servings=”4″ time=”10 minutes” difficulty=”2 hours and 45 minutes”]
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup mirin
- 1 tbsp sake
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
1) In a large bowl whisk together soy sauce, mirin, sake, and brown sugar until combined. Set aside ¼ cup sauce.
2) Season chicken lightly with salt and add to marinade, stirring to coat. Transfer chicken and marinade to a vacuum bag and seal. Place bag in a Suvie pan, cover with water, and insert into the top right zone of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook >
Protein: 160°F for 1 hour
Vegetable: 0 minutes
Starch: 0 minutes
3) After the chicken has finished cooking, remove chicken from bag and thread onto skewers, packing them tightly.
4) Transfer skewers to a clean, dry Suvie pan. Brush some of the reserved marinade over the chicken and return pan to your Suvie. Broil for 10 minutes, or until golden brown and spotty. Flip chicken over and broil on the other side for 10 minutes. Garnish with scallions and serve with extra sauce on the side.
Alternative Cooking Instructions:
- To make this recipe in the oven whisk together soy sauce, mirin, sake, and brown sugar in a large bowl until combined. Set aside 2 tbsp sauce for serving and 2 tbsp for brushing onto the chicken.
- Season chicken lightly with salt and add to large bowl stirring to coat. Thread chicken onto skewers and place on a baking sheet. Adjust oven rack 3-5 inches below broiler and heat broiler to high. Broil chicken for 10 minutes, flipping chicken over and brushing with reserved marinade halfway through cooking.
- Garnish chicken with scallions and serve with reserved dressing.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 320, Total Fat 17g, Total Carbohydrates 15g, Total Sodium 1180mg, Total Protein 21g