Turns out Italian sausages aren’t only meant for red sauces and lasagnas. This week, try our twist on bangers and mash where we’ve subbed out the potato in favor of cauliflower. And for a little extra zing, we finished the dish off with a tangy whole grain mustard sauce. Keep the prep simple and check out our vacuum-packed Italian sausages in our protein box!
Note: This meal cannot be scheduled, as the starch zone is unrefrigerated and we do not recommend allowing the cauliflower florets to sit out unrefrigerated for an extended period of time.
Bangers and Cauliflower Mash
- 4 Italian sausages
- 10 oz asparagus
- 12 oz cauliflower florets
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
1) Vacuum seal Italian sausages (here’s our DIY vacuum sealing guide). Place in a Suvie pan and load into upper right cooking zone. Cover with water.
2) Place asparagus in a Suvie pan and load into upper left cooking zone.
3) Put cauliflower in starch pan and load into bottom right zone.
4) Fill reservoir, enter cook settings, and Cook Now.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Settings
Protein: 160°F, 1 hour
Vegetable: 10 minutes
Starch: 50 minutes
5) After the cook, remove sausages from pan and wipe pan dry. Remove sausages from packaging and return to pan along with juices. In a medium bowl, mix mustards, honey, and stock together and stir into pan with sausages. Return pan to upper right cooking zone.
6) Drizzle oil over asparagus and season with salt and pepper. Return pan to upper left cooking zone. Broil sausages and asparagus for 7-10 minutes, until browned.
7) During broil, pulse cauliflower and butter in a food processor until smooth, about 6-8 pulses. Season.
8) After the broil, remove sausages and asparagus from Suvie.
9) To serve, divide mash and asparagus between three plates and top with sausage. Garnish with extra sauce.
Alternative Cooking Instructions:
- Boil cauliflower in a large pot of water for 35-40 minutes until soft. Drain and place in food processor with butter, blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sausages to a medium pan along with ½ cup water. Cover and cook over medium heat until inner temperature reaches 155°F. Drain water and brown sausages in skillet with 1 tsp vegetable oil. Once browned, combine mustards, maple syrup, and chicken broth in small bowl and add to skillet. Cook down for 3-4 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Cook asparagus over medium heat in a medium skillet until tender. Season.
Nutritional Information per serving (3 servings per recipe): Calories 595, Total Fat 38g, Total Carbohydrates 16g, Total Sodium 1114mg, Total Protein 41g