Originating in Saigon in the 1950s, the Banh Mi sandwich has become a foodie favorite around the world thanks to its juicy meat options and bright crunchy veggies. Save yourself the delivery fee for takeout and try our variation of this nod to French-Vietnamese gastronomy. Pro tip – freeze any leftover sauce for the next time you want to marinate something from our protein box!
Banh Mi Sandwich
- 1 lb pork tenderloin
- 3 pieces French bread, about 6” each
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, thick stems removed
- 1 jalapeño, sliced and seeded
- ½ cup grated carrot
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Sriracha, for garnish
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- ½ cup cucumber slices
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
1) Combine marinade ingredients in a medium bowl, stir together, and pour into gallon-sized bag. Add pork tenderloin to bag and vacuum seal (here’s our DIY vacuum sealing guide), place in Suvie pan, and cover with water.
2) Insert pan into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide at 150°F for 1 hour 30 minutes
Top Zone: Sous Vide at 150°F for 1 hour 30 minutes
3) Once the pork is nearly done cooking, add quick pickle ingredients to a small bowl and let sit 5-10 minutes.
4) After the cook, remove pork tenderloin from Suvie pan and bag and transfer to a cutting board. Reserve cooked marinade for spooning over sandwich. Thinly slice pork tenderloin into ⅛-inch thick slices.
5) To serve, spread 2 tbsp mayonnaise over the top and bottom of each piece of bread. Divide carrot, pork, cucumbers, and cilantro between sandwiches. Spoon 2 tablespoons of cooked marinade sauce into each sandwich and top with desired amount of jalapeno. Garnish with sriracha.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top right zone of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Protein to 150°F for 1 hour 30 minutes.
Alternative Cooking Instructions:
- Add pork tenderloin to a gallon bag along with all marinade ingredients and allow to sit at least 6 hours or longer. Add pork to baking dish and roast at 400°F for 20 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 145°F. After cook, transfer to cutting board and thinly slice pork tenderloin into ⅛-inch thick slices.
- Add quick pickle ingredients to a small bowl and let sit 5-10 minutes.
- To serve, split mayo between bread and spread on top and bottom. Divide carrot, meat, cucumbers, and cilantro between sandwiches. Spoon 2 tbsps sauce into each sandwich and top with desired amount of jalapeno. Garnish with sriracha.
Nutritional Information per serving (3 servings per recipe): Calories 771, Total Fat 29g, Total Carbohydrates 69g, Total Sodium 1428mg, Total Protein 53g