This flatfish may look a little silly, but there’s no joking around when it comes to halibut’s delicious flavor. We’ve paired this lean, flaky, and mildly sweet fish with a warm, smoky blackening seasoning that you can make as spicy as you like. Either use a premade blend or mix your own by combining 1½ tbsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp kosher salt, ½ tsp ground black pepper, ½ tsp dried thyme, ½ tsp dried basil, ½ tsp dried oregano, and ¼ tsp cayenne pepper.
Blackened Halibut with Broccoli Slaw
- 4 halibut fillets, approximately 1 lb total
- 2 tsp blackening seasoning
- 8 oz pearled barley
- 12 oz broccoli slaw
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 4 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
1) Season halibut with blackening seasoning and vacuum seal. Place in a Suvie pan and load into upper right cooking zone. Cover with water. Add barley to starch pan, and load into bottom right cooking zone. Fill reservoir, enter cook settings and set to Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Settings
Protein: 130°F, 30 minutes
Vegetable: 0 minutes
Starch: 50 minutes
2) After the cook, remove halibut from Suvie pan, pat pan dry, and return halibut to pan. Broil 7-10 minutes until golden brown and fragrant.
3) During the broil, whisk together greek yogurt, lime juice, and honey in a large bowl. Add the broccoli slaw and stir to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4) After the broil, divide barley and broccoli slaw between plates. Top each plate with halibut and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 378, Total Fat 5.8g, Total Carbohydrates 39.9g, Total Sodium 667.4mg, Total Protein 30.4g